Would you like cleaner air, lower prices, and fewer catastrophic weather conditions? We can move closer to all of this with a few minor lifestyle changes.
There’s no denying that the whole earth is seeing troubling weather–fires, floods, tornadoes, and mud slides. The snowballing impact of these circumstances is tremendous. People are losing their homes, neighborhoods, and livelihoods. Crops are being destroyed, which will result in higher food costs and shortages, and this all likely will continue to increase over time.
If we want it to stop, we have to look honestly at what we are doing as a nation and individually, if nothing more than to show respect and gratitude for our God-given gifts. Some say the cause is due to global warming. Others say it’s normal weather cycles. Some say it’s due to our lack of faith. Others say that’s nonsense.
Whatever the cause, we can do small things to improve conditions, and it’s in all of our best interest to do so. Yes, this requires some effort, and perhaps sacrifice, on our part. But we will suffer one way or another. Why not do what we can to improve conditions and leave the earth in better condition than it is right now?
Take a look at this list, and see what you can do. A few minor changes will make a big difference.
- Reduce waste by making careful purchases of items that truly will be used.
- Repurpose items rather than tossing them in landfills.
- Donate items in good condition.
- Use long-lasting lightbulbs.
- Avoid plastic water bottles. Use reusable ones as often as possible.
- Raise air conditioning thermostat temperatures one degree. Lower heating temps one degree.
- Conserve water when cleaning, washing, playing outside, and watering lawns and gardens.
- Clean-up rivers, ponds, forests, and parks.
- Don’t dispose of medications and chemicals inappropriately. Check with your town and disposal company for their suggestions.
- Eat locally grown foods to avoid transportation waste.
- Eat less meat. Animals contribute greatly to carbon dioxide production.
- Promote better environmental understanding.
- Demand and vote for better environmental protection.
- Pray for our planet.
*Our faith changes as we age, and for good reason. Have you read, Young in the Spirit?
*Photo: Wayne, IL
Reposted on Midwest Mary
[…] out, “Our Planet’s Health and Well-Being” on my other […]