Peace be with you.
And with your spirit.
This is what we wish each other throughout the Catholic Mass. We wish peace from the depths of our soul to the depths of one another’s.
Mary, our heavenly mother, prays for our peace and encourages us to do the same. It was the focus of her message when she appeared to the children of Fatima nearly 100 years ago. She told them that peace is found in Christ. Seek him. Follow him. Embrace Christ’s peace.
The Hebrew word for peace, shalom, literally means “to be complete or whole.” When we wish someone peace, we wish them well in the fullest sense.
This beautiful word is generously sprinkled throughout Scripture as peace is one of the greatest gifts we can offer and receive. Following are some of my favorite verses about peace. Read them slowly, and savor that sense of peace that will wave over you.
- The Lord turn his face toward you and give you peace. (Numbers 6:26)
- But you will have a son who will be a man of peace and rest, and I will give him rest from all his enemies on every side. His name will be Solomon, and I will grant Israel peace and quiet during his reign. (1 Chronicles 22.9)
- In peace I will lie down and sleep, for you alone, Lord, make me dwell in safety. (Psalm 4:8)
- The Lord gives strength to his people; the Lord blesses his people with peace. (Psalm 29:11)
- Turn from evil and do good; seek peace and pursue it. (Psalm 34:14)
- Better a dry crust with peace and quiet than a house full of feasting, with strife.(Proverbs 17:1)
- For to us a child is born, to us a son is given, and the government will be on his shoulders. And he will be called Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace. (Isaiah 9:6)
- He said to her, “Daughter, your faith has healed you. Go in peace and be freed from your suffering.” (Mark 5:34)
- “Glory to God in the highest heaven, and on earth peace to those on whom his favor rests.” (Luke 2:14)
- [ Jesus Appears to the Disciples] While they were still talking about this, Jesus himself stood among them and said to them, “Peace be with you.” (Luke 24:36)
- Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid. (John 14:27)